Filippo De Pisis
Filippo Tibertelli, alias Filippo de Pisis, was born in 1896 in Ferrara. Stimulated by the family of aristocratic origin, since as a teenager develops a deep interest in arts and literature, which increases attending the high school and then, from 1916, the School of Arts at the University of Bologna. During the college he studied the poets of the late nineteenth, especially Verlaine, Baudelaire and Rimbaud and in the same period meets Morandi, Carrà, De Chirico, Savinio and Soffici.
In close contact with these representatives of the international vanguard, decided to devote himself to painting and in 1920 moved from Ferrara to Rome. In Rome collaborates with the magazine “Valori Plastici” and spend time with intellectuals such as Cardarelli, Baldini, Barilli, and Spadini. In 1925 he exhibited in Rome at the House of Art Bragaglia and at the III Bienniale Romana, before moving to Paris, where he lived until 1939. The admiration for Delacroix and Manet will be reflected in his work in a gestural and immediate use of color and in brilliant tonal accents. In contact with the fervent artistic climate and studying the Impressionists, his painting arrives to full maturity.
In 1926 he realizes with De Chirico, Paresce, Tozzi, Savinio, Severini and Campigli, the “Gruppo dei Sette”, creating the “Ecole Italienne de Paris”, and exhibits in the Galerie au Sacre de Printemps with De Chirico’s introduction.
Meanwhile keeps strong connections with Italy, until 1944, when he moved to Venice. The favorite theme of his paintings is the still life and the theme of city views. The images that the artist paints are surrounded by a continuous poetic climate, as evidenced by the views of Paris, London, the Venetian marine and by the nudes and the large bouquets of flowers.
In 1949-1950, De Pisis takes part to the project of the important Verzocchi collection, about the working theme. Even the works of his last period are affected by exceptional poetic intensity, a strong opposition to any form of classicism. He died in Brugherio, near Milan, in 1956.